For many people, a New Year marks a period of celebration and overindulgence, but these celebrations quickly pass, and leave many of us with a whole host of New Year’s resolutions to complete, many of which are almost certainly related to losing weight.
Over the festive period and indeed the colder winter months in fact, many of us gain excess bodyweight, and feel pretty sluggish, lethargic, and ashamed at ourselves for becoming overweight. Gaining the extra weight takes but a matter of weeks, but losing it can take months upon months.
However, it’s not all doom and gloom, because more and more people are turning to yoga to help them shed those excess pounds. In this article, we’ll be looking at five of the most effective yoga poses for fat loss.
- The Cobra pose – This is a quick and easy pose to perform, making it absolutely ideal for beginners. You simply lie on the floor face down, making sure the top of your feet are perfectly flat on the ground. Next, push your hips and legs down, put your hands under your shoulders, press down, and lift your chest, head, and back off the ground. Push backwards with your shoulders until you feel a stretch, and then slowly lower yourself to the ground.
- The Bow pose – This is another great pose for burning fat. To perform this pose, start by laying down on your stomach, bending both of your knees, and then grabbing your feet. Slowly suck in your stomach, lift your feet and upper body slightly up in the air, and pull back on your shoulder blades. Take several breaths, and then return to the start position.
- The Warrior I pose – This is great for your abs. Start by standing up with your left leg spread around 4 or 5 feet away. Next, you want to rotate and turn both your feet and your body to the left. Your left knee needs to be bent over the toes on your foot, and your right leg must be kept straight. Finally, you should raise both of your arms high over your head, and have your fingertips pointing upwards.
- The Wind-releasing pose – To perform this pose lay down flat on your back and bring your knees upwards towards your chest, keeping both your ankles together. Lock both your arms together over your knees and then lift your head up from the floor. You should feel a stretch in your abs.
- The Side-stretching pose – This is great for getting your heart rate pumping. Start by standing upright with your feet a little wider than shoulder width apart. Next, gently rotate your body, and try to turn both of your feet towards the right. Keep them straight, and slightly bend over your right leg until your body becomes parallel to the ground. Reach down and try to touch the floor.
If you’re looking at getting into yoga, then Kris Fondran’s Shapeshifter Yoga program comes highly recommended. It has been billed as a complete fat burning, body sculpting, fitness boosting yoga based program that really works. The entire program is extremely affordable, and works out way cheaper than signing up for traditional yoga classes at your local fitness centre.